Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Aha! Moment

 Most people have heard of Oprah's terminology, an Aha! Moment. According to her it is “unforgettable, connect-the-dots moments, when everything suddenly, somehow changed.”  I had this life-changing, world-shifting, moment last night (July 31, 2010) while reading the words of a woman I will now never forget..Erika Harris. Her site http://www.joyful-work-for-sensitive-people.com/ explained a large facet of my being that I had never quite been able to explain and label.  I know now without a shadow of a doubt that I am a HSP (Highly Sensitive Person). From the research of Elaine Aron the world was introduced to ground-breaking scientific evidence that 20% of the population are born with a highly sensitive nervous system. This has many consequences both good and bad for that person.  But the biggest concept of a HSP that I most identify with is the sensitivity of other peoples feelings and energy. I often find myself weighed down by other peoples problems....most often when they haven't even verbalized them to me.  HSP's are very very thoughtful people who often find themselves trapped in a spiral of thinking too much...and I definitely do that.  I cannot express how absolutely amazing it feels to learn more of who I am...and why I am the way i am. As Ericka so brillantly put it "I'm not crazy. Its my grotesque habitat that is crazy." 

In this video, Elaine Aron explains, briefly, what a Highly Sensitive Person is:





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. It was an interesting video that made me think a little bit. I would be willing to bet the HSP are almost always introverts. Part of being an introvert, the definitive part, is that you gain energy when you are alone and get worn out when you have to interact with lots of people at once. Anyway I found your blog because I'm going to start nursing school in January and am looking for other student nurse blogs. Good luck to you in getting through nursing school!

    ReplyDelete